Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Brain freeze

So what dessert do you eat on a hot summer night to fend off a hangover from all the beer you were drinking through the day? Well, if I were to guess, it would be Sorbet.





This is another dessert I suspect came from some 'Super Mega Food, Office Supply and Furniture Store'. Does that matter? Probably not. Was it tasty? Well... let's start from the beginning. The presentation of these were great. The different flavors were Mango, Coconut, Pineapple, Pina Coloada and Lemon. They all came in an appropriate fruit. The Mango in a half Mango, the Coconut in a coconut shell, Pineapple and Pina Colada in a pineapple and the Lemon in a lemon half. Great idea for presentation - but I don't think it worked in practice. Here's why. When I started eating the lemon, it was great, it was cold, but tart and sweet at the same time. As I got deeper into the sorbet, and closer to the rind of the lemon, it became bitter and much more sour. The sweetness was overwhelmed completely. If I didn't like lemon as much as I do - I probably would have tossed it.

I don't believe that was the case with the other flavors, though I would definitely wonder if the coconut shell affected the flavor of the coconut sorbet. I suppose it depends on how much of the coconut meat is left on the shell.

My advice, get sorbet, or better yet an italian ice like Luigi's. I've definitely had good luck with that. Now, in fairness, I do think that the food in it's own fruit is a great idea - *IF* you make it at home. If you have the time, it's very easy to make it yourself with this easy recipe. Just get large lemons!

No comments: