Wednesday, August 27, 2008

WWYDFAKB

First - Go vote int he poll to the left <-- over there! If you want more info - check the links underneath the poll.

Ok - If you don't have those eight letters from todays title imprinted into your brain already, you will at least be familiar with them. The expression is - What Would You Do For A Klondike Bar? I'll let you think about it for a minute.

Ok, what would I do - well this time around - it was as simple as a trip to the refrigerator here at work with Rabid and Chef Abram. It was a sad time, for a brief moment, as our good friend and now former co-worker 'Gooch' was our benefactor.

In the few seconds that it took to remove said Klondike bars, in every flavor from Peanut Butter to Heath to Oreo we suddenly became very happy and dug into said Klondike bars quickly. I got sad again when I was finished. Gooch was belligerent, quirky, loved Bjork and Star Trek. Beyond Dessert - what more do you need in a day really? Ok - so there are a few things more that are handy to have, like a Leatherman or Gerber multi-tool. We bought a Gerber multi tool for Gooch as a going away present, and it looks as if he left the overflowing sack of desserts for us in return.

So on to today's subject. The Oreo Klondike!



And another for good measure.



The one occasional downfall to a Klondike Bar is the chocolate shell. Because of the special relationship between a chocolate shell and it's contents, many chocolates aren't on par with the bars I would buy in the store - like a good Dagoba or untempered chocolate bar. A local store called Healthy Living has some amazing chocolate on their shelves. I'll have to review one of them soon here. But I digress... the chocolate shell is what you would expect, not great, not horrible, stands up fairly well, melts a little. It's all good, if not a bit thin on this one - the thickness of the shell can be a bit hit or miss. The contents, however, are much more stable and predictable from one bar to the next.

When I bit into the bar, I was pleasantly surprised. It immediately reminded me of Ben and Jerry's - Sweet Cream with Oreo Cookie - which was unfortuantely changed to Hydrox and before being retired as Sweet Cream with Cookie, though rumor has it you can still occasionally buy retired versions in Ben & Jerry's Scoop Shops. Good luck with that. If you loved that flaovr, you may find a reflection of it in this, or discover what you missed out on years ago.

The one thing I dislike about many 'commercial' products is that the sugar seems to hit my teeth almost as fast as my tongue, but there really wasn't any of that here. No feeling like my teeth were going to burst into flame. I had to say that the chunks were fairly good sized, many about 1/5th of a cookie, but then with many others much smaller distributed throughout. There really was a well established texture. When I was done, I wanted another one. I was thoroughly impressed with just how good it tasted.

I have to admit, I ate a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Klondike bar. I'll hold off on that review for now - as there are more of those in the refrigerator. I'll review it on it's own.

Speaking of that refrigerator... there were also some mystery Hagan Daas bars in there too. I may have to go and discover what ones those are soon.

For those who came all this way - here I am eating said Klondike bar. Chef Abram was testing a camera, I became the subject.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This shit is hilarious Tim!! hahaha

Admin said...

Thanks. It was funny as - at first - I didn't realize my co-worker was filming me.. but then I played it up when I did.